Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Classic Puzzles - 12 Days of Christmas

Traditional Cross Stitch

 


The Puzzle:

According to the traditional song, on the first day of Christmas (25th December), my true love sent to me:

. A partridge in a pear tree

On the second day of Christmas (26th December), my true love sent to me THREE presents:

. Two turtle doves
. A partridge in a pear tree

On the third day of Christmas (27th December and so on) my true love sent to me SIX presents:

. Three French hens
. Two turtle doves
. A partridge in a pear tree

This carries on until the twelfth day of Christmas, when my true love sends me:

Twelve drummers drumming
Eleven pipers piping
Ten lords a-leaping
Nine ladies dancing
Eight maids a-milking
Seven swans a-swimming
Six geese a-laying
Five gold rings
Four calling birds
Three French hens
Two turtle doves
A partridge in a pear tree

After the twelve days of Christmas are over, how many presents has my true love sent me altogether?
 
As usual, you can check the answer below by highlighting the yellow.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Day by Day:
1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + 28 + 36 + 45 + 55 + 66 + 78 = 364 presents
Which is really interesting when you think there are 365 days in a typical year!
 
It's also interesting that if you count up the name of each present, you come up with this symmetrical list:
12 Partridges (12 days x 1)
22 Turtle Doves (11 days x 2)
30 French Hens (10 days x 3)
36 Calling Birds (9 days x 4)
40 Gold Rings (8 days x 5)
42 Geese Laying (7 days x 6)
42 Swans swimming (6 days x 7)
40 Maids a Milking (5 days x 8)
36 Ladies dancing (4 days x 9)
30 Lords a Leaping (3 days x 10)
22 Pipers Piping (2 days x 11)
12 Drummers drumming (1 day x 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.